Measuring and interpreting Blood hCG to Assess Pregnancy Viability Following ART Treatments

I know of no medical announcement associated with the degree of emotional anticipation and anguish as that associated with a pending diagnosis/confirmation of pregnancy following infertility treatment. In fact, hardly a day goes by where I am not confronted by a patient anxiously seeking interpretation of a pregnancy test result.

Testing urine or blood for the presence of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is the most effective and reliable way to confirm conception. The former, is far less expensive than the latter and is the most common method used. It is also more convenient because it can be performed in the convenience of the home setting. However, urine hCG testing for pregnancy is not nearly as reliable or as sensitive e as is blood hCG testing. Blood testing can detect implantation several days earlier than can a urine test. Modern pregnancy urine test kits can detect hCG about 16-18 days following ovulation (or 2-3 days after having missed a menstrual period), while blood tests can detect hCG, 12-13 days post-ovulation (i.e. even prior to menstruation).

The ability to detect hCG in the blood as early as possible and thereupon to track its increase, is particularly valuable in women undergoing controlled ovarian stimulation (COS) with or without intrauterine insemination (IUI) or after IVF. The earlier hCG can be detected in the blood and its concentration measured, the sooner levels can be tracked serially over time and so provide valuable information about the effectiveness of implantation, and the potential viability of the developing conceptus.

There are a few important points that should be considered when it comes to measuring interpreting blood hCG levels. These include the following:

• All modern day blood (and urine) hCG tests are highly specific in that they measure exclusively for hCG. There is in fact no cross-reactivity with other hormones such as estrogen, progesterone or LH.
  • Post conception hCG levels, measured 10 days post ovulation or egg retrieval can vary widely (ranging from 5mIU/ml to above 400mIU/ml. The level will double every 48–72 hours up to the 6th week of gestation whereupon the doubling rate starts to slow down to about 96 hours. An hCG level of 13,000-290, 0000 mIU/ml is reached by the end of the 1st trimester (12 weeks) whereupon it slowly declines to approximately 26,000– 300,000 mIU/ml by full term. Below are the average hCG levels during the first trimester:
    • 3 weeks LMP: 5 – 50 mIU/ml
    • 4 weeks LMP: 5 – 426 mIU/ml
    • 5 weeks LMP: 18 – 7,340 mIU/ml
    • 6 weeks LMP: 1,080 – 56,500 mIU/ml
    • 7 – 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 – 229,000 mIU/ml
    • 9 – 12 weeks LMP: 25,700 – 288,000 mIU/ml
    • A single hCG blood level is not sufficient to assess the viability of an implanting embryo. Caution should be used in making too much of an initial hCG level. This is because a normal pregnancy can start with relatively low hCG blood levels. It is the rate of the rise of the blood hCG level that is relevant.
    • In some cases the initially hCG level is within the normal range, but then fails to double in the ensuing 48-72hours. In some cases it might even plateau or decline, only to start doubling appropriately thereafter. When this happens, it could be due to:
      • A recovering implantation, destined to develop into a clinical gestation
      • A failing implantation (a chemical pregnancy)
      • A multiple pregnancy which is spontaneously reducing (i.e., one or more of the concepti is being lost) or,
      • An ectopic pregnancy which will either absorb spontaneously (a chemical-tubal gestation), or evolve into a full blown tubal pregnancy continue and declare itself through characteristic symptoms and signs of an intraperitoneal bleed.
  •  The blood hCG test needs to be repeated at least once after 48h and in some cases it  will need to be repeated one or more times (at 48h intervals) thereafter, to confirm that implantation is progressing normally.
  • Ultimately the diagnosis of a viable pregnancy requires confirmation of the presence of an intrauterine gestational sac by ultrasound examination. The earliest that this can be achieved is when the beta hCG level exceeds 1,000mIU/ml (i.e., around 5-6 weeks).
  • Most physicians prefer to defer the performance of a routine US diagnosis of pregnancy until closer to the 7th week. This is because by that time, cardiac activity should be clearly detectable, allowing for more reliable assessment of pregnancy viability.
  • There are cases where the blood beta hCG level is extraordinarily high or the rate of rise is well above the normal doubling rate. The commonest explanation is that more than one pregnancy has implanted. However in some cases it can point to a molar pregnancy
  • Finally, there on rare occasions, conditions unrelated to pregnancy can result in detectable hCG levels in blood and urine. They include ovarian tumors that produce hCG, such as certain types of cystic teratomas (dermoid cysts) and some ovarian cancers such as dysgerminomas.

1,763 Comments

Claire

Hi Dr.

LMP 5/3
1st positive test 8-9 DPO
13DPO HCG 285
16 DPO HCG 1222

Does these numbers seem promising? Does that high of HCG to start signal multiples or not necessarily?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

Much more important ism whether it is doubling every 48h. Repeat the test in 2 days.

Beth

My beta on 11 dp4dt was 17.8. My RE said to stay cautiously optimistic. Have you seen any success with this kind of number? Thank you for your advice.

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

It all depends on how/whether the beta hCG rises over the next few days. Repeat in 2 days. It should double.

Nikki

My lmp was 4/23/20. I think I ovulated very late this cycle. DTD 5/9. Nausea 5/15 & 5/16 (ovulation possibly?) Very light spotting on 5/20 & 5/21, at home test negative on 5/20. Very faint positive on 5/23. On 5/28 hCG was 183. Today 6/1, light bleeding/light cervix pain and nausea earlier this afternoon and hCG is 480. Transvaginal detected nothing but a small cyst on an ovary. Cervix is slightly open. I’m 33. Is it possible I ovulated so late? And that conception occurred nearly a week after intercourse?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

It is possible that you ovulated late. However, the good thing is that thew hCG level seems to be rising reasonably. Repeat in 2 days (it should double) and do a confirming US in 2 weeks.

Priya

My Last LMP was 13 April 2020, we did a HCG on 27/05 and it was 2348 and after 48 hrs it was 3015, my and they did US and said fetal pole not available, now they are suggesting for an abortion.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

This definitely sounds like a “blighted ovum. I concur with the advice by your RE. Might I recommend that the products of conception removed a D&C be sent for chromosomal analysis.

Ashley

Hello Dr,

My levels are below;

5/9 – positive pregnancy test
5/11 – 71 HCG
5/13 – 151 HCG
5/15 – 300 HCG
5/18 – 319 HCG
5/21 – 370 HCG
5/28 – 427 HCG

Could this still be viable since its still rising? I’ve also had spotting and bleeding 2 weeks ago but I guess I’m still hopeful because it is still rising.

Thank you!

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

Sadly, this does not look very promising. I think you might be losing this pregnancy!

Sorry!

Mary

Hi. My lmp was April 22,2020. The second day of missed period, I got a positive HPT. I had blood work done on May 28, 2020 and my HCG level is 1323 for (5 weeks 1 day). I am currently still breastfeeding my 2 year old and have mild cramping after nursing. Does this look good and should wait till my 8 weeks US, or should I have another bloodwork done. I have had 2 kids and 2 miscarriages before both kids. That’s why I’m so anxious.

Lori Marabee

Had my first beta today 5/28 and it was 85. I am 9dp5dt frozen transfer. Doc has me scheduled for another beta in 4 days. What numbers would we hope to see and is the 86 a decent first beta? Thank you in advance, Lori

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

I would expect it to be well above 300 by then.

Kayla

LMP was 4/14. I should have been 6w1d yesterday, but the ultrasound measured at 5w3d seeing a yolk sac but no fetal pole. HCG was taken yesterday and it was high, 22830. Do you think this is a viable pregnancy or possibly on the decline? I am so worried.

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

It is still a little early to determine. Repeat the US in 1 week for a definitive answer!

Good luck and G-d bless!

Erin

Hi Dr. Sher!

My HCG levels on 5/19 were 102, then on 5/22 were 292, and on 5/26 only 857 (94 hours later). Does this seem problematic?

Thank you!

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

Too early to say. You need an US in 10-14 days to assess.

Chantelle Kempf

Hi Dr Sher,
My HCG sat 5/23 was 505
then 5/27 they have risen to 4480!! I am not experiencing any symptoms. Have a scan booked next week but in the interim im feeling anxious about these levels – what is worse case scenario?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

It looks promising. Could be a multiple.

CA12

I’m on my 6th pregnancy following five early miscarriages, and am the farthest along that I’ve been. I’ve had two ultrasounds at 6 weeks and 7 weeks, both of which showed a heartbeat. But we’ve also been monitoring my HCG levels, and they not bee as good:

At 6 weeks: 11706
6wks 3days: 16811
6wks 7days: 21323
8wks: 29655
8wks 1 day: 36404

Between 6weeks 7 days and 8 weeks, my doubling rate was 16.8 days, but between 8 weeks and 8 weeks 1 day, it was 3.9 days. Is this common, or should I be preparing myself for the possibility of another miscarriage?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

Once the hCH gpoes above 4000-5000U, it no longer rises as it did early on. I am hopeful that this will turn out OK for you. Have an ultrasound for confirmation of a viable pregnancy.

Tara

Dear Doc,
Currently 5 weeks 4 days along. First HCG came back at 151.8mIU/mL and have been having brown discharge/spotting for the past 4 days.

Will this end in a miscarriage?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

It is hard to say. Repeat the beta hCG test in 2 days to see if it doubles. Then do an US examination in 10-14 days for a definitive answer.

Tiffany

Hello! My LMP was 4w7d. My HCG on 5/22 was 133. My HCG on 5/26 was 1100. My last pregnancy in Feb 2020 was an ectopic. My doctor is worried that the the HCG increase is too large! What do you think?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

Respectfully, I am not overly concerned or pessimistic.

Kayley

Hi. My name is Kayley. I took two at home tests, they were both positive. I currently do not have insurance so I paid out of pocket for a blood test. My hcg levels read <3 (3,000). I texted my friend who works at my OBG office and she said anything less than 5 is considered negative. I just don’t understand because I do have it in my blood, so am I pregnant or not?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

It is not possible to have clearly +ve urine pregnancy test and a negative blood test. Something is wrong here?Discuss with your GYN.

Louise

Hi Dr Sher,
I am 15dpo and tested negative with a Clear Blue test yesterday. My basal body temp is still high. Is is possible that HCG levels are too low to detect at this stage?
Thanks

Yan Dalib

Hi,

I have a confirmed pregnancy at 5 weeks. However, the hcg line is no as bright and i went it for a blood test at the end of my 4 weeks. The reading came back at only 69. My Dr said this pregnancy is not viable due to the low hcg level. Would appreciate a second opinion on this Dr.

Thanks so much!

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

Sadly, I agree with your doctor. However repeat the hCG test just to be on the safe side.

Shirley

Hi, my levels at 5 weeks were 21
Then was told I was having a miscarriage.
Levels were taken at 6 weeks at 33
Now at 7 weeks I’m only at 120.

Viable?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

In my opinion, this is not compatible with a viable pregnancy!

Sorry!

Perry

Hello Dr. Sher,

I would love your input.

Beta Hcg 5/6 (11dpo)- 52
Beta hcg 5/8 (13dpo)- 99
Beta Hcg 5/11( 16dpo)- 259
Beta Hcg 5/18 (23dpo)- 1211
Does this look like a viable pregnancy?

Thank you!

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

The rise in hCG is slowing. You need to do an US in about 10 days to get a definitive answer.

Rebecca Johnson

Ash

Hello doctor
my levels are below

May 13 – 210
May 16 – 595
May 19 – 1153

How do these look? I am so very anxious!!!

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

There seems to be a slow down in the rise of hCG. Wait a week and do an ultrasound for a definitive answer.

Ashley

Hello doctor
my levels are below

May 13 – 210
May 16 – 595
May 19 – 1153
May 22 -1824

How do these look? I am so very anxious!!!

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

You need to do an ultrasound in about 7-10 days in order to determine the success of this implantation. It could turn out fine but given the tail off in rising hCG level in the last few days, I cannot be certain!

Geoff Sher.

Ashley

Hello doctor
my levels are below

May 13 – 210
May 16 – 595
May 19 – 1153
May 22 -1824
May 26 – 3735

I had a ultrasound done on May 26 and was told they see a gestational sac but nothing else at this time and to come back in 2 weeks. I’m assuming I’m between 5- 6 weeks but they did not say how much the sac measures.

Based on my hcg levels what do you think?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

The rise in hCG was not optimal. However, hat does not mean a non-viable pregnancy. An US done in about 10 days should be definitive.

Blaire

Hi! I think I’m 5 or 6 weeks . Had an ultrasound done last week, we saw only the sac, I also got blood drawn that was at 9,000 HCG went back two days later and was only at 13,000 HCG. My Dr wanted a 60% rise and I only had a 40% rise, could this be a bad sign/sign of miscarriage? I’ve had a miscarriage before so worried this could turn into one.

Thank you in advance.

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

Not necessarily because at this stage, the rise in hCG level can be slower.

Carrie Moss

Hello Dr.

We transferred a single embryo via FET.

I’m a bit concerned that my high hcg levels and doubling time could indicate a twin pregnancy.

Have you seen many women in your practice with numbers In these ranges for a singleton?

10dp5dt: 724
12dp5dt: 2821

Much appreciated!

Emma

Hello-

I am about 5weeks on 5/11 hcg levels were 1028 and 5/13 hcg 1211. I am concerned

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

I understand. Repeat in 2 days to see if it rises appropriately (should double). Then in 1 week do an ultrasound.

Audriana

Hi Doctor, I have have 2 hcg tests so far and my third today. 5/19-14 dpo -152, 5/21 -375. Assuming today is about the same, does this look normal? With three tests in week 4, is that a good indicator for viability later as well? Thank you !

Kesha

Hello
My FET was on 19/4/2020
Beta HCG on 30/4 = 22.77
Beta HCG on 03/5 = 82.23
Beta HCG on 07/5=475.90
Does the value appear normal or anything to worry. The repeated tests are making me little stressed. Can you advise.
Stay safe
Regards

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

Looks reasonable but you will need an ultrasound inn about 1 week to confirm one way or the other.

R

Hello Dr. Sher ~

I am 42 years old and am 5 weeks today. My Progesterone came in a 26, which I am comfortable with. However, my HCG levels are concerning.
5/11 – 1,175
5/13 – 1,860
5/15 – 2,642

My Doctor is doing a US on 5/19.

I know only time will tell, but any initial thoughts on the numbers? As you can see, they are not ideal as they are not doubling.

Many thanks,
R

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

I wish I could give you assurance that all is OK. However, only an ultrasound evaluation as planned, can provide a definitive answer.

Sorry.

Janett Fisher

My HCG was 58.5 at 18 dpo, 127 at 20 dpo and 364 at 26 dpo. I am really worried. Could this still be ok?

Leeza lama

Hello ,
I tested positive for pregnancy on 9th may 2020 my period was due on 2nd may with my LMP ON2nd April. I went to visit my doc on 12th mY and did my usg tvs on 16 toh may but they didn’t find any sac but thickened endometrium 15mm and on 18th may I did my beta hcg test which came out to be 189.8 . Please advice me what is happening?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

This is either an absorbing chemical pregnancy or an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy. Discuss with your RE.

Alysia Mosness

I am 10 dpo today and had an hcg of 11.8. Any thoughts?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

It could be a positive sign. Repeat in 2 days to see if it doubles.

Janett Fisher

Thank you for the reply. I had another beta at 32 dpo and it went from 364 to 682 in 6 days. The US only showed a small gestational sac. What are your recommendations of moving forward?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

That is a slow rise in hCG and sadly might not bode well for the pregnancy. Repeat the US 1 week!

Hope Trivia

Hello Dr,
I was on
Estradiol 2 mg vaginal 3 times a day,
Progesterone vaginal insert (endometrin 100mg) 3 times a day,
Progesterone in oil 1 ml every 3 days

9dp5dfet: HCG 280 Estrogen ( donot remember) progesterone 11

11dp5dfet: HCG 607 Estrogen 1800 progesterone 30

After this my dr. dropped the estrogen to 1 time a day vaginally.

At 18dp5dfet, HCG 14000, Estrogen “84” and progesterone 12.

My doc have bumped the estrodiol 2 mg to 2 times a day now. I am really worried about such a drastic drop in estrogen. Should i worry? Just FYI my last estrogen pill before the blood draw was 25 hours back. Could this be a reason? Please advice.

Thanks a lot.

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

I hear you. I agree with bumping up the estradiol. Hopefully all will turn out well!

Sarah de Waal

Hi are,

I tested positive for a home pregnancy test on a frer (conception was 3 weeks ago).Went and got a blood test done. I have the results of my blood test and it came back at 95. Is this too low for 3-4 weeks pregnant?
Thanks

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

Not necessarily! But it depends on the rate of subsequent increase. It needs to double approximately every 48 hours. Time will tell!

Geoff sher

Jessi

Dr,
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy days to answer our questions. We’re testing my betas because advanced maternal age (39) and having had a chemical last summer. I implanted 9DPO based on some pain and light spotting and had my first barely there faint positive 11DPO. I had my first HcG 15DPO and it was 57. I didn’t hear from my doctor until 19DPO after the lab had closed for the day due to a weekend in between, so I had my repeat 20DPO and it was 249. According to a beta calculator I’m rising by 80% every 48 hours and doubling in 56 hours. Is that reasonable or should I worry? I had a third beta drawn today to follow up at 22DPO but don’t have results yet. Thank you.

Implantation 9DPO
Positive test 11DPO
15DPO beta 57
20DPO beta 249

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

I am afraid only time will tell. I would give the testing a break and do an US!

Kim

Hello! I had my beta drawn Saturday at12 dpo and the HCG was 42. Three days later (at 15 dpo), however, the HCG was only 73. I got another draw today and am anxious awaiting results. Is there any hope of a viable pregnancy?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

There is hope. The next hCG level (2 days after the last one) should however be >140U.

Aaron

10 days past ovulation I had a confirmed positive pregnancy test (05/04). On that day my HCG level was 14.5 and Progesterone was 26.7. On 05/06 My HCG level went to 59.1 and progesterone went to 31.6. So a week later on 05/13 I was retested which puts me 18 days past ovulation. My HCG was 1356.8 and my progesterone dropped to 15.9. I am just curious if it is normal for progesterone to drop like that or if I should be concerned?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

I would not be alarmed by the drop. Repeat it again to make sure and if still low, discuss progesterone supplementation with your doctor.

Vaish

Hello Dr. Sher

My HCG on 4/30 was 262
My HCG on 5/12 was 3462

My LMP was March 28 (I have irregular periods though). I am scheduled for an ultrasound on 5/18.

Do these HCG numbers look okay? This is my first pregnancy (natural).

Thank you!

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

This is a slow rise. It could be fine but you will have to wait until the US to know for sure!

Jill L

Good Morning Dr. Sher- I am currently 6w5d pregnant. I suffered 2 missed miscarriages within the last 8 months after finding both babies hearts stopped beating around 6 and 7 weeks. I am terrified it will happen again. Below are my HCG levels, and I am going in weekly until my ultrasound 6-1-2020. I just need a glimmer of hope!
3w6d HGC-150
4w1d HCG-412
5w 0d HCG-6,528
6w1d HCG-52,674
Thank you!

Agatha Holland

Hello Dr.

Tested hcg at 11dpo =10
Do you think it’s a good sign? I think it should be higher by now.

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

It is low and sadly, the prognosis is guarded…

Sorry!

Tryingmybest

Good Evening!
I’m interested in your input.

LMP 4/1/20
Avg cycle 35 days
Beta Hcg 5/5 – 28
Beta hcg 5/7 – 40
Beta Hcg 5/9 – 95
Thoughts?
I’ve been feeling lower back cramps some side tinges and cramps, but no bleeding. Thanks

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

I am quite optimistic. I would wait until the 7th week and do an US. That would be definitive.

Maya

Hello!

Hope you are well. I am looking for some insight. My HCG levels every 72 hours were as follows: 59,195,613,1109. The next day my hcg levels only went to 1280. They appear to not double anymore. I had an ultrasound done and this is what was found

“2 areas of avascular fluid (1.4×1.3×0.4cm) and (1.9×1.2×0.9cm), probably communicating along the posterior aspect of the endometrium. Morphology of endometrial thickening suggests decidual reaction. Endometrial thickness measures 15mm, no definite gestational sac or yolk sac seen”

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

It is too early to be certain. However, an US done in 10 days from now should be definitive. In the meanwhile, your GYN should keep an eye out for an ectopic pregnancy! Discuss with him/her.

Ka

Dr. She’d,

26 months of infertility due to DOR- two failed IVF cycles due to poor follicle stim.

LMP 4/23- usually a 24 day cycle. Unknown day of ovulation because we had actually given up our hopes of becoming pregnant.
5/18- hcg 151
5/20- hcg 362
5/22- hcg 692

Just a little worried about the doubling rate given the slowing. Thoughts?

Rachel Brister

5-6-2020 HCG 47,131 Prog 20.1

5-4-2020 HCG 24,789 Prog 16.8

5-1-2020 HCG 16,876 Prog 20

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

It is probably too early!

I suggest you repeat in 1 week!You likely will have a pleasant surprise.

Rachel Brister

Thank you for your reply. So do you think it’s 50/50 odds? Would a blighted Ovum have that high of hcg?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

Don’t know the odds…but yes, a BO could have high hCG levels too!

Rachel Brister

Thank you – I will keep you updated as to which way it goes. I have a repeat US next Thursday.

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

G-d bless…good luck and be safe!

Emily cook

Hi there
Hcg Saturday 14 dpo 217.1
Hcg mo say 16dpo 411

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

Looks reasonable to me. Repeat again in 2 days.

Rachel Brister

Good afternoon. Thank you for your advice and opinion last week – here is a re-cap:

“Good Morning. I am about 6 weeks and 2 days (LMP was on March 18) and these are my 3 most recent HCG & Progesterone levels:

5-6-2020 HCG 47,131 Prog 20.1

5-4-2020 HCG 24,789 Prog 16.8

5-1-2020 HCG 16,876 Prog 20

Today I went for my first OB appt and not much could be seen other than the sac. My OB did vaginal ultrasound and the sac measures appropriately, however he could not see a yolk sac or fetal pole yet. He said it could possibly due to the severe tilt of my uterus and shadows caused by this. What are your thought on this scenario? Do I have a 50/50 chance of a good outcome or should I prepare myself for a poor outcome? What are your thoughts? Thank you so very much.”

I had my repeat ultra sound this morning with Radiology and as you mentioned – I was too early last week and in addition to my uterus tilt they could see anything. Today they saw a viable pregnancy and cardiac activity. I just wanted to thank you for your opinion and prayers. I truly appreciate it.

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

Told you it was just too early!

G-d bless!

Emma

Hello Dr. Sher,

Really respect you and your work and would love your opinion…

LMP was 4/16. Thermal shift in BBT detected on 5/3. Beta drawn today resulted in 19 mIU/mL. Is this considered too low for 11 DPO?

Thank you!

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

Not at all! Hopefully all will be well!

Cassi stott

HCG bloods done two days ago were 4 I’m 5 days late for my usual cycle and my doctor wasn’t overly helpful. Negative urine test she said but I could see an extremely faint second line she said she wasn’t concerned and just said negative could I be early early on and have another blood HCG done in a week?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

You should repeat the blood hCG and then reconnect with me!

Good luck~!

Mia

Hello. My first hcg was 127, and my second hcg was 235. This was 47 hours apart. Do you think it’s viable ? 85% rise

Jessica Gonzalez Bellet

Dr. Sher, first of all- I am literally here because of you. You helped my mother become pregnant at 37, 36 years ago. So thank you is not enough. Now I am expecting my first child. I had my first ultrasound today- due to consistent spotting. The fetus measured at 4mm, though I’m 8 weeks along based on my LMP. The radiologist said the fetus is the size of a 6 week pregnancy. The problem is there was no cardiac activity. The good news is my HCG is 127,532 (mIU/mL). Is there a chance that the pregnancy is still viable? Is it too early to detect a heartbeat if I’m actually 6 weeks?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

Wow! Thank you for sharing and for your very kind words!

I think you need to repeat the US in 1 week. It could be a little early still!

Good luck and send my love to your mom!

Dylan

Hello there,

On 17DPO my hcg was 1844, 19DPO my hcg was 3,566. Do these numbers seem high to you? Thoughts?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

They are high but the doubling in 2 days is somewhat reassuring!

Natasha W

Hi,

My hcg on the 18th May was 795 and on the 20th was 845. What are your thoughts?

I should be 5-6 weeks, I have had some spotting and cramping, hence the hcg testing. An intrauterine gestational sac was seen at 5 and 6 weeks both abdominal USS. I have a rpt hcg booked in a few days and a transvaginal USS booked for the 29th.

Your thoughts on those hcg levels? I suspect it’s not viable?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

The level is not doubling everynb2 days as appropriate. Thus, a repeat hCG will help tell but ultimately, an ultrasound examination 7-10 days from now should provide a definitive answer.

Natasha W

Thank you for the reply, thought I’d give an update.

Started heavily bleeding today. Hcg 848. USS today confirmed loss of pregnancy. Feel better for having an answer.

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

My thoughts and prayers are with you Nataha!

G-d bless!

PH: 702-533-2691

Mikayla Robledo

Hey how are ya.
My lmp was 03/23/20 and found out I’m pregnant on 04/15/20 my first hcg level was 30.5. went to my first obgyn appt on 04/27/20 and had an US and seen the fetal pole and Dr said everything looked fine. Had another Hcg level done on 05/01/20 it was 20,000 and seen a heartbeat of 83. Then on 05/06/20 I had some very light cramping with just a tiny bit of very light pink spotting once when I wiped. So I went to the ER and they did an US and seen the baby and with now a heartbeat of 120 but they did not check the Hcg levels this time. From what they have told me I should be 6.4-7 weeks pregnant. In your opinion would you say everything is progressing fine or should I be worried? I have not had anymore spotting since the one time.

Mikayla

What could have been the cause of my light cramping and me spotting the one time?

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

I would need much more information to be able to respond authoritatively!

Sorry!

Jacqueline

Hi my ui/l is 50000 so they said I’m about 5 weeks pregnant but according to me I should be 8 to 9 weeks is there something wrong plz help

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

Only an US can establish the stage of pregnancy!

Sandy

B HCG on 11/05/2020 was 912
And on 14/05/2020 (65 )hours apatt was 1544.
Is it viable??

Dr. Geoffrey Sher

That is a slowish rise. Repeat in 2 days at which time it should be >3,000. Then, in 1 week do an US for definitive information.

Geoff Sher

Ask a question or post a comment